[Clayart] Stoke door construction

Paul Herman potterpaul at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 22 15:31:32 EDT 2018

Hi Cyndy,

I have some opinions on that subject.

We use one here made from light weight angle iron (bed frame) with 1” fiber board attached. There is a handle in the center outside, and you pick the door up with one hand and set it aside, stoke and then place the door back over the stokehole. The whole stoking door should be light enough to manage with one hand. If you are interested, I can email you a picture of our door.

The ones I’ve seen that are really clumsy and unwieldy are those that are hanging from a chain. I don’t recommend that design.

There is an article on this very subject that was written by my friend Casey Clark and published by The Log Book, which is a little magazine for wood firers. I highly recommend the magazine and the article. The article, titled “Unchained” is in issue #63 (published August 2015) and is still available for purchase. You can find their back issues here: https://www.thelogbook.net/back_issues.html

Good luck with your wood firing,

Paul Herman

Great Basin Pottery
Doyle, CA 96109