[Clayart] controllers/safety

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Thu Oct 25 08:59:39 EDT 2018

i had a great deal of mal/function with my controller on my
small kiln.  i finally ordered a kiln sitter with switch/relay.

i spent more time messing with the orton controller than i did
making pots.  and, you learn new swear words.

i was also of the opinion that a controller screwed to a kiln was a
bad system.  it got very hot.

arnold has been testing controllers now that have kaowool blanket between
the kiln and controller...he is getting temps of 125F from 170F without the
insulation.
in my mind, it is still too hot.
my stand off controller works fine. i bet it never gets above room temp. it is
two feet from the kiln.

what was one of the first things we learned with our first computers in
1990???  keep them cool.  and gamers ran a/c through the machine.
now we have 170 on the controller???/what the hell is that?  and then
think of the heat on relay systems and transformer?

and, the big one for me was the controller would not let me fire at the
speed i wanted....why is it set for slow fire?  i don't slow fire.
i am firing to cone 7 in the kiln in under four hours.  and, i do not
like machines telling me what to do...gd it.

skutt now has a touch screen...big whup.  what is the temp of the controller?
and, my last line is....controlled kilns have to be watched...they can malfunction
just like any kiln.  don't control kilns from fifty miles away.  be home, be near and
monitor your firings....try explaining to an insurance investigator that you monitored
your burned up kiln from your cell phone from a movie.....good luck.
mel

 website: www.melpots.com