[Clayart] controllers/safety

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Thu Oct 25 19:10:33 EDT 2018

During my 24 years running the clay program at Tennessee Tech University's Appalachian Center for Craft, we bought L&L kilns exclusively, three in service at a time, and always the e23T as soon as they were available.  In that time, we never had a single problem with a controller other than the expected periodic replacement of thermocouples and relays.  We never had a computer board go bad.  The error codes that read on the controller were always accurate.  Also, and I do not have an explanation for this, we got much better element life with the electronic controller kilns than with the earlier L&L kiln-sitter kilns.   I had a lot more problems with kiln sitters - the cone support prongs, the sensing rod, and the contacts - than I ever have with the programmable controllers.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Retired Faculty, Appalachian Center for Craft
School of Art, Craft & Design, Tennessee Tech University
Now residing Chapel Hill, NC 27516
vpitelka at dtccom.net
sites.tntech.edu/wpitelka/