[Clayart] kiln rust

Paul Gerhold gerholdclay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 19:43:33 EDT 2018

Lou,
I have had a lot of rusty kiln cladding up to the point where the bands actually rusted through and fell off. Never had a problem with the rust getting inside the kiln. Maybe if you are using a kiln vent it could be causing the problem since I guess that could put the kiln under a slight negative but even that seems a stretch.

Try vacuuming the kiln. Putting in a clean shelf. Run a firing with an empty kiln and see what you find on the shelf.

Or you could run a firing with the kiln under pressure and see if you still have the problem.

Paul.