[Clayart] Toxic Chems

Paul Lewing pjlewing at comcast.net
Mon Aug 26 19:51:08 EDT 2019

As always, Robert, informative and to the point.  Thanks.  
A question for you:

On Aug 26, 2019, at 2:27 PM, Robert Harris <robertgharris at gmail.com> wrote:

Lead exposure in potteries WAS a real problem in the late
18th century, when they were still using Litharge, Red lead, and Galena all
of which can dissolve when ingested. Lifespan of inudstrial potters in the
late 18th century was so low that there were strikes (in England) over the
use of lead - 

We know that the incidence of lead poisoning dropped dramatically when they started using fritted lead compounds.  But I assume that, when they relaxed that that much lead exposure was a problem, they also took other measures, like not having the kilns in the same room as the workers, not eating in the workrooms, changing clothes when they went home, ventilation, cleanup, etc.  Is there any way to know how much of the drop in lead exposure was due to the fritting and how much to other measures?

Paul Lewing
www.paullewingtile.com <http://www.paullewingtile.com/>
www.paullewingart.com <http://www.paullewingart.com/>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.clayartworld.com/pipermail/clayart/attachments/20190826/3c256131/attachment.html>

More information about the Clayart mailing list