[Clayart] Pinholes in two tenmokus

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 5 21:44:54 EDT 2019

Hi Bob,
Here is a true cone six that works very well for me.  I still give credit to "V's Temmoku" although I've reformulated, tested and settled on a fourth generation away from the original. I remember Ron and John also working with variations as well.

I always sub out "Ghastley" Borate with 3134, and adjust silica as needed, I also drop Lithium to under 3% if used at all. (in this case not at all with no adverse consequences)

I see Ron's advice and he is dead center on about pinholes and slow cooling down fire. I hold at 2130f in Seg 3, ( extra time to off gas and seal pinholes) and when cone 6 points to 8 o'clock during Seg 4, I manually jump to Seg 5 which begins a cool down and hold at 1900f for 5 hrs. Then a controlled cool down to 1500f for 2.75 hrs whereupon the kiln shuts down and cools at it's own pace.  No pin holes and the glazes get time to work their magic. Mouth watering passionate moans and sighs!!!! Can't wait to get another load up and going.

My "V's 4th Generation Temmoku Gold"

Cornwall stone............61.0
3134............................8.5
Whiting.......................8.0
Dolomite.....................7.0
Silica............................5.5
Red Iron oxide.............10.0

Bentonite.....................3.0

Shot of Darvan 11 because I deflocculate most of my glaze slops!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

***Glossy red brown splashed with gold flecks.

***On white clay body may get "eggplant" coloration.

***On really dark brown body get darker brown and flecks not so visible.

#### to mix things up: sub R I Ox with 2% cobalt Carb for silver speckles.

Now gotta get ready for the Port Orford Farmers Market.
Pottery for sale....Kid's Clay Table.....Wheel Demo.......Cris works the table, sells my pots, her Novels, and promotes her Pod Cast with the Tag line " Let Me Tell You a Story"..... Roneywrites.com.

Coming over your way soon maybe it will work to have coffee....

Misneach,
David