[Clayart] Dust-free temmoku

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 01:35:57 EDT 2019

Hi Jeff,

Reducing the Mg is most of the trick. Doesn't need to be completely
eliminated, as long as it is below 0.1 (Seger) you should be fine.

Like many crystals, pyroxene crystals like Titanium as a nucleator. So
reducing the Ti could also help. Try changing the OM4  for EPK (need calc -
reduce Si!) or EPK for grolleg for example - though the latter is $$. If
you're using Albany/Alberta as an ingredient this has lots of Mg and Ti.

The final thing is to increase the alumina (as a ratio to Si). Pyroxene
tends to prefer low alumina melts, although in general Tenmokus tend to be
higher alumina anyway. Aim for SiO2:Al2O3 at 8:1 or 9:1 rather than say
11:1. I'm thinking boron inhibits pyroxene formation too, so this is
another place to mess around.

I'd be happy to do some calcs for you if you'd like.

Rob