[Clayart] Hot wax

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Sun Jul 14 21:52:39 EDT 2019

Hi Paul -
I don't know what the tool is that you mentioned, but many years ago I used
hot wax all the time, and found it the most effective resist of all - far
more effective than any water-base wax emulsion.  Hot wax applies
beautifully with a brush, but make sure to use one that has natural
bristles.  I bought a huge block of candle wax and broke it into chunks with
a hammer and chisel, and in each batch of hot wax (in a deep electric frying
pan) I added a little mineral oil to get it to flow easily at about 180
degrees.  I do not remember the proportions of wax to oil, so you'll have to
experiment, adding a little at a time with the frying pan set at 180 degrees
until it seems right.

My "frying pan" was actually an electric stew pot about 6" deep.  I drilled
holes in the sides above the level of the wax, and installed a
natural-bristle paint roller on a piece of 1/4" brass rod.  That made it
super easy to wax the bottoms of mugs, pitchers, covered jars, etc. - across
the bottom and about 1/8" up the sides.  None of my forms except for plates
and platters had trimmed feet, so this worked on everything but the plates.
For them I used a natural-bristle artist's brush.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Professor Emeritus, Appalachian Center for Craft
School of Art, Craft & Design, Tennessee Tech University
Now residing Chapel Hill, NC 27516
vpitelka at dtccom.net
www.vincepitelka.com