[Clayart] Hot wax

Michael Wendt mwendt at wendtpottery.com
Mon Jul 15 09:54:52 EDT 2019

Paul,
Ceramul A was discontinued by Mobil Corp. and they replaced it with a
product called Mobil Cer 64 which did not work very well when I first tried
it.
As I experimented with it, when I tried a heat gun, it finally dried to
perfection in a few seconds and resisted perfectly.

I am not sure what waxes are available now but this heat gun technique works
well with the water based wax I currently can get.
I suggest you try water based wax again and use a heat gun to dry the wax.
If the effect you want requires multiple layers of glaze, since it is super
hydrophobic when dried to a faint yellow sheen, it may well work.

A caution though:

Don't get it too hot because then it turns brown and does not resist.
It needs to look faintly shiny.
Practice will give you the results you need.
I dry my items on a turntable under bright light so I get uniform results
and flawless resist lines.

Good Luck,
Michael Wendt