[Clayart] hot wax

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Wed Jul 17 09:25:49 EDT 2019

Hi Paul -
It sounds like you are working towards the "Cuerda Seca" technique, which
means "dry cord" in Spanish.  In that technique, a line design is done with
hot wax traditionally tinted with manganese and then the glaze is applied in
the intervening spaces.  The finished effect is kind of like a stained-glass
window, with the dry gray or black lines between the areas of color.  One of
my students, Johanna San Inocencio, got very good at it.  If you go to the
gallery on my website, click on student work, and scroll down about half
way, you will find two plates by her.  Depending on the fluidity of the
glaze there can be some bleed across the lines.  If you add any glaze or
flux to the wax, it makes the lines shiny but increases the chance of the
glazes bleeding, for obvious reasons.  Johanna used to be on Clayart, but I
don't think she is anymore.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Professor Emeritus, Appalachian Center for Craft
School of Art, Craft & Design, Tennessee Tech University
Now residing Chapel Hill, NC 27516
vpitelka at dtccom.net
www.vincepitelka.com