[Clayart] Hot Wax

Michael Wendt mwendt at wendtpottery.com
Wed Jul 17 11:39:52 EDT 2019

Paul,
You want to do an inlay technique.
I do this in the reverse order from your description.
I coat the inlay color first, wax the pattern on.
Hit it with the heat gun until the oily sheen appears.
Use cold water and a sponge to remove carefully up to the edge of the inlay.
If the clay is dry enough, I dip the piece in the main glaze.
If multiple colors are to be applied, each gets placed, waxed, and washed
back to the wax in turn.
Then the final glaze coat adheres only to the non-waxed areas precisely up
to the wax.
I just did 12 mugs for a customer using this technique and it produces very
sharp patterns with most glazes.
I can't understand why you would want glaze to be so thick though.
Michael Wendt