[Clayart] pin holes

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Mon Jul 22 08:55:29 EDT 2019

> On Jul 21, 2019, at 12:54 PM, Daphne Vega <dvega at meca.edu> wrote:
> ...reducing or oxidizing in a bisque kiln- I am
> curious why it would make a difference?

One important difference is that impurities like carbon need sufficient oxygen to combine with them, in order to ‘burn away’ in the bisque process. When this happens the carbon becomes carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, a.k.a. gases, not solids, so that it can leave the clay. A kiln atmosphere starved of oxygen (reducing) will not have sufficient free oxygen to permit this to happen, and carbon will remain trapped within the clay as it matures.

         -Snail