[Clayart] pin holes

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Mon Jul 22 10:52:02 EDT 2019

Hi Daphne,

Good to see you again at NCECA!

Normally we would assume any electric firing would be in an oxidizing
atmosphere. In other words excess oxygen inside the kiln.

There are sources of combustible material however in the materials we
use - wax for instance and unwanted carbonaceous material in many of
the clays our bodies are made from. When these burn out they can use
up the excess oxygen and the result is a reduction atmosphere. Paper
clay firing would require some special firing techniques if an
oxidizing atmosphere is wanted.

If this (reduction) happens in a bisque firing any iron in a clay body
can be reduced from Fe2O3 to FeO. Apparently the Fe2O3 gives up it's
extra O2 very easily. Fe2O3 is not a strong flux but FeO is. This can
result in the clay around any bits of iron getting overfired. This can
lead to pin holes and bloating as the over fluxed clay breaks down and
releases gases.

You can reduce in an electric kiln by introducing anything that will
burn like wood or gas. Not good for your elements however. There are
special electric reduction kilns made that use glow bars. Not sure if
there are any made in North America but I'm sure there are some made
in China and Japan.

The Hamer dictionary has lots to say about this - quite a large
section on the different forms of iron we use.

Let me know if you need more - RR

Ron Roy
ronroy at ca.inter.net
Web page ronroy.net