[Clayart] bisque firing (story)my kiln

Dannon Rhudy dannon at ccrtc.com
Fri Jul 26 15:52:15 EDT 2019

There's no reason not to go ahead and glaze the wares fired to
cone 08. I bisque to 08 nearly always. Keep in mind that the work
 will absorb just a bit more glaze at that softer stage.

It sounds like a problem with an element, but - there are lots of
things that can occur to cause the breaker to blow.  You might
check your incoming breaker box (not the ceramics specific one) and
look for a loose connection.  Happened to me at least once.

regards

Dannon Rhudy

I have a question related to a bisque firing. I had put new elements in my Jenken kiln. I was firing a bisque to Cone 05 manually.The 45 amp kiln blew my 80 amp circuit breaker at 950 C. Which is about 08. The day before I was trying to fire the bisque using my Sentry Controller which blew my 50 amp Circuit breaker at 444C.
I thought maybe the 50 amp circuit breaker might be old and that is why it blew. The 80 amp is much newer so I tried to do the firing manually.
My kiln electrician will test the elements with his amp meter when he comes back from vacation as it seems to be a problem with the kiln.
What I would like to know is what you all think about going ahead with glazing and firing these pots to cone 5 since they did not reach cone 05? I have another smaller kiln I can use for this.
Thanks,
Kathy Schultz 🌴

Sent from my iPad