[Clayart] bisque firing (story)my kiln

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Sat Jul 27 16:19:46 EDT 2019


> On Jul 26, 2019, at 2:24 PM, Kathy Schultz <K1claylady at aol.com> wrote:
> 
> I have a question related to a bisque firing. I had put new elements in my Jenken kiln. I was firing a bisque to Cone 05 manually.The 45 amp kiln blew my 80 amp circuit breaker at 950 C.


Years ago, I had a kiln blow the breaker, literally - across the yard. I was only firing earthenware. Near as I can tell, the wiring (installed inside the wall by a previous tenant or landlord) was undersized, overheated and shorted out. My fault for assuming that the 50 amp outlet was attached to suitably-sized wiring. 

It’s possible to get a short inside the kiln, too.

    -Snail


More information about the Clayart mailing list