[Clayart] bisque firing (story)my kiln

David Hershey dmhlb at dmhstudio.com
Sun Jul 28 21:01:26 EDT 2019

Hi Kathy and all,

Sounds like it could indeed be a loose connection either on the kiln
breaker or somewhere in the breaker box. Or maybe on the wall plug if
you're not hard wired in.

The receptacle/plug/cord should never feel more than warm during a firing.
If it's too hot to hold your hand on, the problem is in the receptacle or
cord.

Once during a firing, I had a 100 amp main sub-panel breaker trip. Believe
me, that REALLY gets your attention!

I found the problem by turning off the sub-panel, and checking the
tightness of every connection.

Turns out that the licensed electrician who installed the sub-panel in my
studio didn't tighten one of the wires to the main breaker adequately.
After 200 or so firings, it loosened up enough (expansion & contraction) to
cause overheating and trip the breaker.

You really have to crank down on those big wires!

Best, DMH