[Clayart] discussion topics

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Wed Jan 8 18:28:29 EST 2020

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 4:35 PM, mel jacobson <melpots at mail.com> wrote:
>
> my new adult student has been working on cone 6, mel6 and our glazes.
> she had a firing and a commercial rutile blue glaze ran right off
> the pot onto her kiln shelf…

I tend to set the kiln programming for a full cone low, then add soak time to increase the heat-work up to the correct cone…slows it down a lot, since the nominal temperature does not increase; just the heat-work.

As we know, some clays are true ^5 or ^6, while some nominally ^5 clay bodies really need a 6 or 7 or more, regardless of their labeling. Some glazes are the same way - gotta learn their individual habits.

A 30 minute soak AFTER hitting a true ^6 (as determined by witness cones) could mean a ^7 or even ^8 in terms of heat work, depending on the kiln and the density of the load.

-Snail