[Clayart] titanium dioxide

carol at knighten.org carol at knighten.org
Tue Jan 14 16:51:03 EST 2020

Hi -

Re the role of TiO2 in a ceramic glaze:

In the world in which I trained, materials science/ceramic engineering, TiO2
is known as a glass former, the definition of which is that it incorporates
into the glass structure, as opposed to modifying it.

This is the best reference for that property that I could find by a cursory
search using google:

The effect of titanium dioxide on the structure of silicate multicomponent glasses
S. A. Kukharenko, A. E. Shilo, P. P. Itsenko & A. N. Kutsai
Journal of Superhard Materials volume 32, pages396–405(2010)Cite this article

https://link.springer.com/article/10.3103/S1063457610060055

It is shown that Titanium dioxide replaces silicon in the glass structure,
i.e. it is a glass former.

Increasing the TiO2 in a glaze can increase/decrease or have no effect on the
viscosity of the glaze. One can increase silica in a glaze to get either
effect as well.

I'm going with Robert Harris on this, TiO2 goes in the third column of the
empirical formula as its a glass former.

I'm with Harris on Boron as well, going out on a limb on this, cause I've seen
the references fly by, but don't have any in the paw just now. Boron goes in
the middle column.  It is amphoteric, it can be substitute for silica in the
glassy network, then be a glass former.  Equally, it can modify, break up the
network, then it is behaving as a base, and goes in the first column.

Carol
--
    Carol Marians
  carol at knighten.org