[Clayart] ron and john

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Mon Jan 20 09:01:28 EST 2020

it is really amazing, in my opinion, how the wonderful glaze book by ron and john
has changed the attitude of folks about electric kilns. the kiln of choice in
most of the world is electric.

when i started to work on the kiln book, i was aware of the change, it almost
made we stop and wonder if i was on a fools errand...but, after it was all done
and the air cleared i realized it is about `fighting ignorance`.  every new book with
corrected information is valid.

nils' book on how kilns fire was vital. and his book will be valid for a long time.

as with ron and john, it was all about learning the `how and why`.  we still live in a
craft that is overloaded with folks who want a `recipe`...the quick fix. but slowly we
are changing that attitude too.

we are very fortunate that there are so many dedicated to saving the craft...being
able to see through the fog. the word hobby is good, it means a great deal to many, but
taking that one step farther down the road to `knowledge` is all the difference in attitude
and professionalism.  we ain't mak'n corn cob decor...we's making good stuff.
mel

website: www.melpots.com