[Clayart] everything matters 2

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Fri Jan 31 17:03:13 EST 2020

when i did the chinese hare's fur study with joe koons i wrote in my
story in cm that i `had to become an old chinese potter`.  i meant that.
if everything matters, i had to get rid of all my hand tools, i did all hand
wedging.
i made all bamboo working tools for my wheel. I did use my electric wheel, but sorta had to.
i used natural sponges.
i made a hygrometer out of a strip of bamboo with a rock wired to the bottom.
made slash marks for depth.  i found an old piece of bronze and cut by hand
a trim tool.  even sharpened it with a stone. it was very therapeutic, and got me
started the right way.  i got as primitive as i could be.

i think it is fun to do that sort of thing.  it got me focused on what i was doing.
new tools,no stereo, quiet studio...i even made a bamboo dipper for glaze. try it some time.
you will understand.
i got out my old copy of the harvard/sackler study on hare's fur.  been reading from the
written chinese history.  potters notes etc.  it just makes me smile.  all about
kilns not firing right. why the differences...we all know why. we have had the same
problems.
earth, fire, water..work..frustration, then glory.
mel

website: www.melpots.com