[Clayart] dealing with having to make a taller chimney

Michael Wendt mwendt at wendtpottery.com
Fri Oct 23 17:18:52 EDT 2020

Snail,
Loved the story despite the unpleasant outcome.
She made two mistakes:
First, if she thought you were wrong, she should have shown you the "RIGHT"
way to fire the kiln.
When her "RIGHT" way did not work, she should have apologized to you and
made you feel welcome, not resented.
Sad piece of work, that professor.
Michael Wendt

PS
There is a really handy small book titled
"Pocket Ref"  by Thomas Glover
The price sticker is still on mine all these years later ($9.95)
It is data packed.
It lists the atmospheric pressure at various altitudes.
Most people know that 14.7 PSI is the atmospheric pressure at sea level but
the surprise is, air pressure drops off ever faster as you go higher up.
It makes sense since unlike water, air is compressible so the scale is
logarithmic rather than linear.
I am in Lewiston, Idaho (750 ft above sea level 13.44 PSI avg)
Moscow, Idaho where I grew up and went to school (2500+ ft above sea level
10.83 PSI)
Denver, CO  (let's say 5500 ft above sea level 7.33 PSI)
Clearly, a novice flatlander would be shocked at how much harder it is to
reach temperature at Denver's altitude when compared to Lewiston's altitude.