[Clayart] CLAY LINED BASKETS

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 03:59:25 UTC 2021

To stir the pot even more ... (pun not originally intended!) I have a few
questions.

It's generally accepted that the earliest wheel thrown pottery is found all
over the world (except the Americas) within a century or two of each other.
Say around 3500-3200 B.C. Close enough in time that it's possible it was
invented only once and spread very very quickly.  (The lack of wheel
throwing in America is also somewhat supportive of this hypothesis). Or did
all cultures that were in a position to do so (because of their level of
technique) make the jump at the same time. Certainly by that time
"civilization" and cities were fairly widespread, and more importantly so
were trade routes. (People don't realise that much of the Bronze in the
European Bronze age was made from Cornish tin).

The very earliest ceramic technology is not widespread however. As I
mentioned earlier, while pots have been found in Russia and Asia that date
to 15,000+ years ago, pottery was not found in the Golden Crescent until
6,500BCE or so. Trade routes were definitely less evolved then. It begs the
question ... was ceramic technology hard enough that it was invented only
once and needed to be spread, which happened much more slowly because of
the lack of trade routes, or was it invented separately in each place?

Rob