[Clayart] pugmills

Antoinette Badenhorst porcelainbyantoinette at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 23:06:16 UTC 2021

It sounds wonderful! I had a mechanical non-dearing "Dabeb" at the time,
the guru for all clay equipment in South Africa. It could  make 1 ton of
clay per day by filling the chamber with lumps of clay and then using the
lever, pushing the clay through, in the same way we use extruders most of
the time. I remember how tired I was after a day's clay making.
For the past 22 years I have mixed clay by hand. First it was stoneware and
later porcelain. I have about a ton of stoneware clay that is aged for 10
or more years. I hope to teach with it in my new-studio-to-be, but
it will probably not last for long.
Getting older is not for sissies, so I will definitely not work
without pugging in future.