[Clayart] pugmills

Michael Wendt mwendt at wendtpottery.com
Fri Aug 6 18:19:10 UTC 2021

I built my own large ribbon mixer for batching and a 2200 LB per hour
deairing pug mill from stainless steel.
Batching first allows you to adjust the moisture content of the body before
you pug. Vacuum de-airing really solves most cracking problems associated
with low clay content bodies like porcelain because air bubbles constitute
the initiation points for cracks to start.
Hardly anyone I know does this for very good reasons so here's my suggestion
with its rationale:

I viewed the Peter Pugger at NCECA several years ago and agree with those
who wrote that it is by far the best single piece of equipment to buy
provided it is stainless steel throughout AND is also equipped with the
vacuum setup for removing air.
First, because the large charge hopper permits you to mix the clay with the
machine running in the mix direction and to add either dry ingredients to
stiffen the clay or water to further soften the clay, it takes away the need
to wedge which is hard on the hands and wrists.
Next, once you like the moisture level, you simply remove the pug sections
end cap, reverse the direction of rotation and the clay come out without the
need to pry on a tamper.
Best of all, it will have high resale value when you retire.
Regards,
Michael Wendt