[Clayart] pugmills

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Fri Aug 6 20:09:43 UTC 2021

For 40 years, I used the Harry David vacuum-deairing pugmill I built in 1978 from the plans that eventually appeared in Harry's "The Potter's Alternative."  The plans were supplied to me by Hank Murrow.  I have a background in mechanics and welding, and it was a very advanced project.  The finished machine would pug and deair a ton an hour, but I never needed for it to do that much.  In my production studio in California it was a godsend because I never had to wedge clay and I could custom combine commercial claybodies.

Three days ago, I got a notification from Craig's list that someone only ten miles from my home in North Carolina had a Bluebird 440 for sale in like-new condition.  I'm out in Northern California right now (Lava Beds National Monument, but I jumped on it, and the seller delivered it to my house yesterday, complete with a welded steel table with a stainless steel top.  This makes me very happy, because I want to process all my recycle, and I want to combine Starworks Star White-6 and one of their buff cone-10 bodies to get a body that matures at cone-8, because that's where my glazes and the soda effects look best in my soda-firings.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC