[Clayart] Low Fire Soda

Tammy Shapiro tes777 at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 17 20:21:50 UTC 2021

Hi All,
I was recently asked to participate / fire a Cone 6 Soda Firing.
Currently we are trying to figure out what the best clay bodies to use, so that we get the really good color and the orange peel texture that you would get in a Cone 10 firing.

My friend that got me involved has been reading the Justin Rothshank Low Fire Soda book and brought to my attention the issue that larger quantities of talc in the clay body don’t do well in atmospheric environments. My question is has anyone else had this problem and why would this happen?

Thanks in advance,
Tammy