[Clayart] Low Fire Soda

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Wed Aug 18 05:45:49 UTC 2021

Hi Tammy -
Cone-6 is midrange, and the information on low-fire soda won't be of much use.  I have never heard of a midrange body with large amounts of talc.  Many white or buff midrange bodies work well in soda.  I have used Star white-6 (from Starworks) in midrange soda with very good results, but have also fired B-Mix with grog in soda with equally good results.  You will not get much orange peel texture in soda at cone-6.  If you look at the pots on my website you will get a sense of the surface I get with these claybodies.  The only ones with much orange peel were the ones pushed to between cone-7 and cone-8.  The ones near the bottom of the "current and recent work" page were made from a buff Mackenzie stoneware body I used for many years at the Appalachian Center for Craft, but I am happier with a lighter body in soda firing.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC