[Clayart] lefty

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:59:27 UTC 2021

We have worn out most discussion about lefties in clay.
As stated, "we use both hands equally".

I have said, being a solid lefty, that teaching counter clock
throwing for lefties is not worth it. They can easily adapt to
throwing on the right side of the spinning pot.

The real reason to never switch lefties is that wheels in the west
are built for right handed throwing. I can go anywhere in the western
world and climb on a wheel and make pots.

I even changed the direction of my wheel in Japan. I just turned the
drive belt the other way around. The boys in the studio thought that
was pretty slick. I too, cut holes in the throwing platform and stuck
my legs through. (you have to see it to believe it.)

In most cases we lefties have to just live with it, and figure things out
on our own. ( I recently sold my left handed Remington 700 30.06. I was stunned
it brought over a thousand bucks. Lefties hate right handed guns.) We do not like
the rejected casing passing in front of our noses.

On a side note we have seen 5 different black bears on our game cameras on top of our
hill. One of them must be at least 650 lbs. I have only seen one bear in the wild during
my 30 years on this land.
mel

website: www.melpots.com
www.melpots.com/CLAYART.HTML