[Clayart] Low Fire Soda

Tammy Shapiro tes777 at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 18 14:23:24 UTC 2021

Vince,
thank you. Low and Mid range is not my area of knowledge. I have only fired in High fire for 4 1/2 years and spent 2 years training on firing a Soda Kiln.
When I was asked to help and do this firing I did not know what clays to suggest. I have used B-Mix 10 and we do stock B-Mix 5 at the league, but I was not sure if it would get the color 10 usually does in Soda. At Cone 6 will B-Mix get a blush or any color? I have a feeling the person who I am working with might want to rethink this at Cone 6 if it means sacrificing the orange peel effect that you would get in Cone 10.

I have not used any of the Starworks clays, even though I have been interested in the wild clays they are offering.

With the Mackenzie stoneware body what Fireclay are you using? Personally I would mix a clay for this firing and I do have access to a clay mixer.

Again, thank you and I will also take a look at your current work.
Tammy

Message: 4