[Clayart] Low Fire Soda

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Wed Aug 18 17:14:14 UTC 2021

Hi Tammy -
You can find the Mackenzie recipe on my website, and we used Hawthorne Bond
fireclay.  I just acquired a pugmill, and will be blending two Starworks
bodies to get one that will fire to cone-8.  My glazes and the soda effects
both turn out better at that temperature.

I got some nice flashing and good clay color with B-Mix-5 with grog or sand
at cone-6.  Where the soda deposition is heavy, the claybody comes out
grayish white.  You only get flashing and color where the soda effect is
light.  YMMV.  Let me know how it goes when you fire.  I have been soda
firing for a long time, but I learn something new with ever firing and with
every conversation with someone else who soda-fires.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC