[Clayart] salt/soda

mel jacobson melpots at mail.com
Mon Aug 23 17:33:02 UTC 2021

a few of our fantastic hay creek women fired our 50 cube
hard brick salt kiln yesterday.

it was near perfect.
we had jeff from the propane company install a new
1-15 psi regulator. (propane can be psi, most natural
gas is measured in inches of water column.)

i had cleaned the burners, no rust.  reamed the orifices
and they kicked it in the ass...fired with 13 pounds of pressure,
they fired to cone 11.

in the kiln they filled bisque bowls with rock salt.  they threw
in a mixture of salt and soda.  about 9 pounds worth.  it was a very
even 9 hour firing.

it is a good story. big hard brick kiln, big solid brick stack 12 feet, more than ample propane pressure
and a group of women who fire seriously with no fear.

I watched from afar, made coffee, lunch, and had a nice new bathroom fully cloroxed.
mel

website: www.melpots.com
www.melpots.com/CLAYART.HTML