[Clayart] cobalt toxicity

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Thu Aug 26 18:29:41 UTC 2021

People do store food in the ware we make and we have no control over that.

I do remember a barium blue mug in which the glaze on the inside was
white about halfway up. Someone had left some "neocitron" (a vitamin C
drink) in it on a counter over night. The drink had leached out all
the blue and who knows what else out of the glaze.

Cobalt does not seem to be a big danger from ingestion based on what
we know so far. Still - you don't want your ware changing colour. That
scares people!

I wrote Eric privately - I suggested a small revision to make the
glaze even better than it is. I wish there were more potters would
take the time to make sure their liner glazes were stable.

I am happy to give an opinion about glaze stability. All I need is a
recipe which I will not save or share.

RR

Quoting Michael Wendt <mwendt at wendtpottery.com>:

> I looked at the EPA web page for drinking water standards.
> Copper and Barium are both listed so I bet you can review the
> standards for cobalt there too.
> I figured if the release level in a test is lower than the drinking
> water standards, the release is most likely very safe since we drink
> far more water in a lifetime than you could ever possibly release
> into food coming into momentary contact with dishes or serving pieces.
> Worth a look if you can slog through the pages,
> Regards,
> Michael Wendt
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cynosure -Arts"
> <cynosure_arts at hotmail.com>