[Clayart] Ball clay

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 21:45:20 UTC 2021

hi Joe,

Mining method aside.... All clays do not readily "ball up" so perhaps the "rest of the naming story" is in the particular clay's useful balling character.

I call to mind an obvious hand formed basketball sized ball of clay, with the handprints still visible, being dug up in an ancient "Indian" (pre-Anglo Conquest) irrigation canal in the Phoenix Arizona area.   We could all make up a story of how it got in the canal but it appears that a pottery production industry was thriving and Indians were mining and transporting "Ball" clay.

Misneach,

David