[Clayart] Reclaiming 30 lbs of clay

dannon at ccrtc.com dannon at ccrtc.com
Sat Jul 10 19:58:00 UTC 2021

Bonnie, it is likely to be easiest to reclaim if you let the
wet parts dry, and then put the lot in water.  Sometimes wet
clay doesn't dissolve very well - depends partly on the clay body.

But if you can wait while what is wet dries, break up any really
large pieces -then put in a bucket or two of water and give it a
stir now & then.  When the lumps are gone, let it evaporate in the
buckets until much of the water is gone. It will settle out, too,
and if it were me I'd scoop out some of the top water to speed
things along.  When solid enough, you
can dump  it out onto plaster (or concrete) slabs. Or, if still
fairly liquid, you can pour it into a couple of old pillow cases
and leave it to dry slowly. Hang them from a limb or something
so it'll dry a bit more evenly. Rework when
it's malleable. It'll be pretty good clay to work with.  And you
have all that dry air up there to hurry the job along.

regards

Dannon Rhudy