[Clayart] Cracks and slow seepage- porcelain

Madeleine Hall-Arber arber at mit.edu
Sun Jul 11 19:49:11 UTC 2021

Thank you, Ron.

This is what my supplier says about the clay: #16 Grolleg Porcelain Cone 5-6
Grolleg Cone 6 porcelain. similar to #15 with more ball clay, making it less white, more plastic and forgiving. Additional silica reduces crazing in some glazes. good for slab forming.
sh 13.9% ab. 0.12 @ C/6

I do use cones on every shelf, bisque to cone 04, fire to cone 6 (cone 6 bent to touch the shelf, cone 7 half over).

I just did the microwave test and alas the 2 pots I tested did get hot.  Not burning, but noticeably hot.  I guess the next step is to test the absorption.  I would appreciate the instructions, or are they in the book?  (I don't have it in front of me.)

I will try calling Laguna and let you know if they shed any light on the subject.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Madeleine