[Clayart] Cracks and slow seepage- porcelain

Antoinette Badenhorst porcelainbyantoinette at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 23:43:50 UTC 2021

It is often possible to fire cone 6 porcelain higher, since the flux used is sodium spar. As I understand it, sodium spar will only begin to flux at ^ 6 and mature at ^9.

Almost all the dishes in my kitchen are porcelain these days. I do not cook every day as I used to do when my children was in the house, so we often eat microwaved leftovers. A bowl may get warm as heat is transferred into the clay walls, but the handles do not get hot.

On the other hand , I cannot always say that about stoneware and earthenware.
Every once in a while I will use a dish from either my own stoneware days, or one that I have from other potters and every once in a while the handle heats up. This happens
when liquid seeps into the clay walls and heats up along with the food.

I also have stoneware soap dispensers that I’ve been using for years. The soap seeps through the basis.

Although there are many good things about firing to ^6, I also think that potters should not have a false reassurance about the clay they are using. As Ron pointed out, clay can vitrify over a range of temperatures.

Also, good glazes are only good if it work on the clay body it is used for. There is a misconception about the temperature range of a clay body vs the clay that it is used on. For instance if a glaze works well on stoneware, it may run badly on porcelain.
I just recently loaded this techno file on my website. It explains how I went ahead to create ^6 porcelain clay bodies, by mostly manipulating the fluxes.
https://www.porcelainbyantoinette.com/uploads/4/7/7/2/47725299/technofile_cone_6_porcelain.pdf

PorcelainByAntoinette
TeachinArt
International Academy of Ceramics