[Clayart] white clay leaks.

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Mon Jul 12 14:50:23 UTC 2021

One of my teachers was David Stannard, wo grew up in China as the son of two Baptist doctors, He eventually returned in’78 for a conference on Porcelain, going into the mines there to collect samples of the materials that made up the original Sung dynasty porcelains, These were analyzed at the U of Alaska for there constituents. The original
main component was hydrothermally altered Rhyolite, which had about 4% KNa and was white. As the mine was worked over the centuries, the potters had to add kaolin to the mix, to compensate for the loss of plasticity as the mine got deeper, then feldspar to compensate for the loss of KNa. The original material was volcanic ash which had weathered and through the hydrothermal alteration lost half the 7% alkali it started with.

Knowing what the original materials' genesis was, enabled David to find similar deposits of altered Rhyolite in Oregon and Alaska, which he made beautiful pottery from, before dying 14 years ago. I mine one of those deposits near Steamboat, OR.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene, OR