[Clayart] white clay leaks.

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 20:19:34 UTC 2021

I would add to Ron's comment that not all ancient porcelain was fired very
hot. According to Nigel Wood there seems to be good evidence that some were
fired in the region of 2250F, but held there for many many hours if not
days. (No doubt it is probably still "Cone 10", but due to heatWORK not
simply heat).

I'd also note that the Chinese themselves do not all accept the West's
definition of porcelain - particularly in terms of translucency or
vitrification. Many of the clay bodies (particularly the Northern Song
bodies) would refer to what we call a white porcelaneous stoneware. (e.g.
B-mix).
(I did a quick Google search and came up with these images for example):
http://www.antiquesreader.com/tag/northern-song-dynasty/

Robert