[Clayart] white clay leaks.

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Mon Jul 12 21:51:17 UTC 2021

Dear Folk

The Alaskan porcelains that Stannard developed from U. of Alaska-held deposits matured in reduction between cone 8 and 9, and are transparent if held to the light, even sunlight falling on the breakfast table will do it. I have fired-examples of each of his prospected materials. The Alaska deposits, which David called Silver Fox, were not transparent if fired in oxidation, and would need cone 10 to mature properly. I had never seen that property displayed so compellingly before acquiring those pieces. It is striking to see two bowls side by side with only the firing régime different between them. Nigel Wood was struck by David's pieces when he saw them. I would send a pic of them together if the site still supported it.

Cheers, Hank