[Clayart] Reclaiming 30 lbs of clay

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 15:17:39 UTC 2021

I'm in between the two. I throw a lot of English porcelain which is
seriously pricey. I also don't have a pugmill - which probably doubles the
time and quadruples the effort needed.

So ... easy to reclaim scrap - trimmings, broken pots etc.  go in a bucket.
Every few weeks (and it's all naturally bone dry by then), I fill the
bucket up with water and let it slake for a couple of days. I then use a
jiffy mixer to really mix it up. Don't want it too thick, a real slip. Let
it settle for a day or so, take off a bit of water, mix it up (with a bit
of vinegar if I remember) then put it out on plaster. Wait for a day or two
(I put newspaper over it after 24 hours so the edges don't get crispy (and
I've seen people press it with sheets or towels which wicks the water up
and speeds evaporation). I try and make sure I get to it before it reaches
50lbs. (I reclaimed 75lbs a couple of weeks ago which was a bit too much
effort at once without a pugmill).

BUT, any scraps with dubious provenance (i.e. end up on the floor or aren't
directly off the wheel or a broken pot) get chucked. And large blocks or
weird, slaked but then dried out stuff, gets chucked. Even at $40 a box, if
I spend 2-3 hours reclaiming 50lbs of clay I'm essentially working less
than (Denver) minimum wage ($14.77). And sometimes it all gets a little
overwhelming (and in a co-op there is a space issue!), and it all goes out
in the alley (it's just dirt after all!). I do it more in the name of
environmental impact than to save money.

And frankly if I made only big pieces; pieces without much trimming I
probably wouldn't bother at all. And if I used a relatively cheap clay and
didn't make much I DEFINITELY wouldn't bother without a pugmill.

Robert