[Clayart] Reclaiming 30 lbs of clay

kathi at lesueurclaywork.com kathi at lesueurclaywork.com
Thu Jul 15 12:38:38 UTC 2021

I had a friend who gave away her pugmill because a professor told her reclaiming scrap was a waste of time. I was appalled. Especially since it was a Bluebird and she could have extruded with it. I get my clay 5000# at a time. It sits for months. Every bit of it goes through my pugmill straight from the bag. Usually with that reclaimed scrap.  Doing that has saved my wrists. I know buying a pugmill is a big investment. But, it you are making pots full time. I bought my Bluebird Powerstar in 1990. Since then, the only repair has been the off/on switch which was overheating. I used to go through 10,000# of clay a year. I can’t imagine trying to process the scrap without that pugmill. I would have thrown away 21,000# of clay, at least, in that time. Almost $10,000 worth of clay at $.46 a pound.
Kathi LeSueur

Sent from my iPad