[Clayart] A blauuw kiln

vpitelka at dtccom.net vpitelka at dtccom.net
Fri Jul 23 21:46:35 UTC 2021

I am not sure what the point is of the message below.  I said that a Blaauw kiln teaches nothing to the students, because it is completely automated.  I was speaking about kiln use in the context of academia.  The whole point of a fine craft BFA program such as what we had at Tennessee Tech is to get students to develop good original work executed at a professional level, and to learn the materials, processes, techniques, tools, and equipment of the trade.   There is no point in teaching students how to fire a very expensive, fully automated kiln.  Instead, teach them how to design, build and fire kilns where they are completely in control.  That's how they really learn about kilns and firing.  If they eventually end up running a successful studio where they can afford a Blaauw kiln or some other very expensive automated kiln, as is the case with Alex Matisse, more power to them. I have absolutely no problem with that.

The implication that the comments made about Blaauw kilns are going to drive members away from Clayart is ridiculous.  If anyone is really that thin-skinned, then they should not be participating in online discussion venues at all.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Potter, Writer, Teacher
Chapel Hill, NC