[Clayart] ELECTRIC KILNS

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 03:42:12 UTC 2021

They still use Globars in industry. I’ve always thought I’d like one. Those
amazing modern oil spot kilns with metallic or blue spots are done in
Globars where they reduce, often using small sticks of wood, all the way
down.

There are some cool videos on YouTube, such as this one.

https://youtu.be/N6Knf7H_FwY

Robert

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 11:13 AM <vpitelka at dtccom.net> wrote:

> Glow bars, or to use the trademarked name, Globar elements, are solid
> silicon-carbide kiln/furnace elements that are not affected by reduction
> atmospheres.  In some parts of the world where firewood is in short supply,
> as in Japan, electric reduction kilns with Globar elements have been widely
> used.  When I was in grad school at U-Mass-Amherst and then the technician
> for the clay program, we had a big stash of Glowbar elements out back that
> were probably left from when they had a big hot glass program many years
> ago.  The elements were about 5/8" in diameter, 36" long, and had a copper
> jacket on each end.  That building has been demolished and I expect that
> the
> Globar elements went to the dump.
>
> My friend Ro Purser on Whidbey Island in Washington has a Globar glass kiln
> for glassblowing.  The power supply unit for the kiln is almost as big as
> the kiln itself.  It requires a lot of amperage.
> - Vince
>
> Vince Pitelka
> Potter, Writer, Teacher
> Chapel Hill, NC