[Clayart] an electric kiln experience

Arnold Howard arnoldhoward at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 12:09:52 UTC 2021

Electric kilns are hardy—even the rusty, flooded ones.

I received a mild shock from a kiln that had been left out in the rain. It was on a back porch. I had to crouch under a big electric cable to get to the porch from the driveway. The cable supplied electricity for the backyard workshop and was draped over the gate to the backyard. The owner had done her own wiring.

Another kiln in the workshop had been abused. Kiln parts and tools were scattered on the floor amidst old car seats, shelves, and power saws.

Sincerely,
Arnold Howard

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 14, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Taylor Hendrix <wirerabbit2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Kiln maintenance is for sure a must with electric kilns. I used to love the
> old Paragon I purchased second hand. Three 4-position switches, kiln sitter
> with timer. So easy to maintain. Purchased a second hand L&L computer
> controlled kiln and was very happy to not have to take the walk out to the
> studio at 2 am for the final turn up.
>
> That L&L is going strong in the new studio after having 3 feet of water
> over it from Harvey. I replaced the board and that was it! The relays were
> all below the water line but are doing their job. I've heard stories of
> relays being such fragile things, going out on a whim and others that
> lasted for the life of the kiln. Hmm. This tells me relays are mysterious
> creatures who do not give up their secrets easily. Best to replace them on
> a regular basis if this is your day job.
>
> Taylor, near Jeddo TX
> wirerabbit1 on Skype (-0600 UTC)
> @mrwireabbit on instagram
> https://www.facebook.com/Wirerabbit.Pottery/
> <http://wirerabbit.blogspot.com>
> http://wirerabbitpots.blogspot.com
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/wirerabbit/
> https://youtube.com/thewirerabbit
>

>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 4:08 PM Arnold Howard <arnoldhoward at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The greatest number of mistakes I have found in kilns is with relays.
>> People are busy and rush through their maintenance tasks. Perhaps they
>> think, “This is easy. Anyone can do it.”
>>
>> The latest example from last week: A jumper wire to the relay coils was
>> disconnected. The wire had been repaired and was so short that the wire
>> worked its way out of a push on terminal.
>>
>> The light switch for the studio had been maintained with the same rush for
>> time. Bare wires stuck out from the wall where a switch had been. Since the
>> switch was missing, the customer turned on the lights by flipping a
>> breaker. Whenever the breaker was flipped, the porch light and studio
>> overhead lights came on together.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Arnold Howard
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Every time I change elements in my or others programmable electric
>>> kiln I also replace the relays at same time. Relatively inexpensive
>>> part that like elements also have a limited life time off switching on
>>> and off.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William Schranwschran at twc.com703-505-1617

>>> problem. Nope. So after talking with Mike at Creative Ceramics in