[Clayart] Was Talc Substitution, Now Wollastonite #2 (a continuing of 2 posts)

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 17:13:04 UTC 2021

David, I have never found any references that say that Kyanite converts to
mullite at such low temperatures. Almost all the ones I've found indicate
that conversion happens above 1300C (2372F). I have often wondered if the
Kyanite to Mullite conversion actually happens in our clays, or if it does,
whether it is somehow propogated by the other constituents of the clay. (I
imagine most of the data documenting conversion is done on fairly pure
kyanite samples). Do you remember where you got that number from?

This is an interesting paper
http://ijmse.iust.ac.ir/article-1-379-en.pdf
which also shows that complete conversion to mullite requires several hours
(below 1500C (2732f) - it occurs rapidly (30 mins) at 1600C (2912F).

Commercially Kyanite is converted to Mullite by heating for many hours at
1300C (2372F). So while it's possible that Kyanite will start converting at
Cone 10 temperatures, only a very very small percentage will be converted
under ordinary firing conditions. (Perhaps in a 5 day wood firing far more
will be converted, but that is a special case!)

The kyanite to mullite conversion is a very different process from
wollastonite melting. (Or any melting. It is irreversible conversion from
one crystalline form into another crystalline form). The majority of our
clay and glaze materials melt at temperatures far in excess of those we
fire to. This is the very essence of eutectics. I know very little of the
physical process of sintering, and then melting, but presumably at particle
interfaces eutectics come into play. So, of course one can get wollastonite
to melt at far lower temperatures than 1540C. I just made up a very molten
celadon that gets most of its calcium and magnesium from Wollastonite and
Talc. It is the interaction between wollastonite and feldspar that melts at
low temperatures. And both of those exist in clays too.

Robert