[Clayart] newly arrived at clay

Barry Salaberry bsalab at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:35:09 UTC 2021

The current discussion which looks at discipline in family dynamics has
taken a turn which, to me, seems out of focus.

We were looking at the work by people who have recently begun exploring the
world of ceramics, and we were judging their behaviour.  We seem to presume
authority, either through our perception of mastery or longevity, or some
other concept which surfaces in response to change.

What anyone does with clay is totally within their domain.  What drives or
compels us in our exploration demands the freedom from authoritarian
scrutiny.  I was glad to have realized this point early on, that I could do
whatever the hell I wanted with clay.  It took me seven years to finally
lose all the misguided help I had earned from my first teacher.  I can only
hope that anyone who has their lives in this mud will likewise assume their
true entitlement.  But, even with this hope I am burdening another person’s
quest.

I have bowls to trim, so I’ll leave it at that.

Barry Salaberry