[Clayart] Was Talc Substitution, Now Wollastonite #2 (a continuing of 2 posts)

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 23 18:58:54 UTC 2021

Hi Robert,
You hit it on the head when you mentioned "Eutectics" as being the tools most often confounding a simple statement regarding the numbers from a tested material in its pure mineral form.

I said in part;......***"In simple description , in its crystalline structure Wollastonite works as twined and interlaced "little rollers" **rather** than as needles jumbled together to tack and pin the clay particles together as in ........... KYANITE.
Kyanite does this well for a Raku body in the forming stage (as well as its potential to tear skin!!!)
Kyanite also contributes problematic free silica in fired stoneware bodies!!! "***

I should have clarified my reasoning that our use of fluxes in stoneware bodies and the eutectics that at times draw more refractory fluxing materials and the kyanite silica into lower time/temp melts.
And that as these kyanite "rollers" begin to melt they are of no further use in strengthening the firing clay body.

Robert, Because of these variables in applications, my intent was to provide enough information to inspire further investigation and I am perhaps remiss in not providing a clarification of my intent.
I don't want now to use time to provide for a deeper discussion when anyone truly interested can easily obtain same.

Our numbers are the same or similar, just our interpretation of application and processes arrive at differing conclusions.

Our reasoning and personal application of the information requires a much deeper study and my intent was never to write a paper subject to peer review.
Understanding the basics of the variable results eutectics play........much like one receiving implanting of a fertilized ovum knowing only that the male/female donors were both human. So unlikely that the little "it" will come out furry and sporting a tail.

The genetics of recessive and dominate genes and the variableness of combined DNA information being as it were the "eutectics."
( This is a generalized example only:  don't anyone go off the deep end arguing anything about Genetic Science, or little monkeys! )

Robert, You hit it on the head when you mentioned eutectics as being the tools most often confounding a simple statement regarding the numbers from a tested material in its pure mineral form.

Misneach,

David Woof.................Keep your GO BAG packed!!!  Being a 4th generation Alien Resident in my Native Land has taught me:  "Never live anywhere you can't leave.....Never own or possess anything you can't leave behind."         But walk tall and live full and large where ever you find yourself and hang your hat!!!.