[Clayart] pyrometer testing.

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 04:49:12 UTC 2021

Mel, I'm curious as to how you figured out what temperature the cone should
fall at. (And therefore be labeled as "too low". My Orton cone charts give
three different temperatures depending on the rate of rise for the last
200F of the firing. (27F/hr, 108F.hr and 270F/hr). My firings are usually
around 60F/hr for the last couple of hours, which is in between the first
two temps given. (Cone 11 is given as 2322F and 2361F for the 2 temp
gains). There is no indication that the temperature difference is linear
(and I suspect it probably isn't). So I'm curious how far off your
pyrometers actually are.