[Clayart] The Electric Kiln is King

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:58:56 UTC 2021

Mel, you cannot post this and ALSO post this

"Some early results by changing pyrometers around and using the gun
indicates the digital pyrometer as expected was low at cone 11 by almost
30 degrees"

Which is what I was asking about. The two are contradictory. And according
to Orton Cone 10 is exactly when the tip barely touches the shelf. (It
drives me crazy when people pack their cobes so close together they fall
into each other.)

Of course you're absolutely right that it doesn't matter what you do if you
can do it consistently, but there IS a definition of Cone 10. And if you're
not firing to Orton's specification you can't make a judgment on the
accuracy of your pyrometer.

Interesting fact for the morning. Josiah Wedgwood was elected as Fellow of
thr Royal Society (the most senior academic society in thr UK) because of
his invention of various pyrometric devices. Basically cone precursors. You
can be damn sure that firing absolutely accurately every time is essential
in industry.

Robert