[Clayart] Cobalt toxicity

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 23:50:23 UTC 2021

Eric,

Absolutely your tests show you fall well below safe limits.

I wrote a lengthy e-mail which I decided not to send (too technical and too
nuanced) which basically said that none of the agencies whether here or in
Europe have enough data to make any real determination about safe levels of
most metals. (The obvious ones such as Lead, Cadmium, Selenium etc
excepted). The problem is that all of our (human) data deals with acute not
chronic exposure. (And in this case mice are really too different to be
confident in extrapolating their data).

If you look at the CDC guidelines for Barium for example, there is a lot of
internal documentation which explicitly states that they pulled the number
for Barium out of their asses (which is why it differs from the EU
guidelines). Effectively what they did is take some numbers for acute
exposure to Barium, make up a "safe" limit for acute exposure (presumably
based on drinking several liters of water a day), then completely
arbitrarily divide by 100. There may have been some mouse experimental data
involved too, but as I recall they threw it out because it made safe levels
too high. There are several publicly available documents written by CDC
scientists essentially excoriating the process.

All of which goes to say ... take everything from the CDC/EPA with a hefty
pinch of salt and think through the safety aspects yourself.

Robert